Went to Vancouver island and picked up a pair of 80 series LandCruiser axles. Plan on using the fullfloater in the rear of my 60 but i took both axles cause the pair only cost me $1200.oo. The rear will be narrowed by 5" and will run a pair of custom length Longfield axles with his 4340 hub eliminators.
Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010 16:35:02 GMT -8 by Slacker
The rear i have in there now is the stock C clip job, with the tire size and the abuse the axles are sure to get i don't want to be stuck in the bush with a tire & axle hangin out two feet. The front i took to resell, i can get $1200.oo for it alone and pay for the rear, or i may just use it in my PU, it does have the hi pinion.
Well a friend of mine made the mistake of coming by, i put him to work straight away. Had him strip the axle clean, took out axles, third member, and all the brakes & backing plates, then cut the spindle off the ends.
The ends that are now cut off will be taken into work, i'll get one of the guys to lathe all the crap off and machine it back down to the original size it was before it was pressed into the housing. I will be pressing them into the axle housing i already have under my 60 once i narrow it. The remainder of the 80s housing will be cut up, the center section will become a holding jig for setting up gears.
Finally got the cast off and three of the pins taken out, Creepy seeing him pull out two 1"+ pins then a 3"one. He was tugging my arm all over the place, my wife ran out of the room, that was funny as s***. Now i just have to get it to bend, no bad pain, just aches most of the time. Some buzzing in my thumb and three of the fingers, very irritating. Says there is a 90% chance that will all be gone over time, nerves got stretched by the arm bones as they came through the skin. I asked him if i would be able to play the piano and he said yes. I said that will be bloody amazing cause i couldn't play it before.
Haven't done much lately, took the spindles and housing in to work and had one of the guys machine the spindles clean and bore the housing ends for a nice press fit. Redoing the bodywork on the quarters, and playing with the flares again. By the way i could use a few sets of first gen flares if any body has some.