I thought that the color was uglier than sin so I busted out the spray paint.
Also traded out those leaky worn out bfgs for some 37x14.5r15 toyos, got 5 for $500. I trimed the fenders too, cut some brakets off the axle, broke a birfield pulling it out of the driveway (welded front and rear) and got some newish rims for it too. Now I have a open 3rd member sitting in the garage along with another tcase, seatbelts, and my tcase ebrake from allpro. Also, I got rid of the round headlights and went square.
ok, I got some parts in and havent forgot about this site. I bought a marlin crawlbox from marlin crawler, some longfield 27 spline birfs, I figure they sould hold up just fine for the wheeling I do, if they break then Im just gonna get a 30 spline set. also have a center ebrake lever for the tcase ebrake. still ordering parts, need a new crossmember, some 5.29s, and also want to do crossover steering before I take it wheeling.
Im wanted to say that Im still here, and that the trekker is coming along bit by bit. Im going to copy and post from my build thread on the texas ttora site so if it looks like Im answering a question that isnt here thats because its been copied and pasted. Also, I wouldnt mind some feedback as I go on with some of the things that yall have done to your trekkers that could help out some of my delimas I might have to incounter. Ive read everyones threads in here over and over again but enough about how Ive been a unposting lurker thats working on his truck and I will show you what I have done so far.
My few day ordeal while installing the new longfield birfs. I know I sould of gone with the 30 spline super set but I dont have a big budget and for the area I wheel, my friend Jody has one of the longs in his truck and one of the marlin birfs in the other side and has yet to break anything running 37s, duels, ect... So ya, pics
Front spacers on with tires on. Noticable difference.
Finally, out of the garage.
Also, I was told when I bought the truck that it was welded front and rear so when I heard the lockrite doing its thing because I kept one of the hubs on so I could keep the oil moving inside the front diff when I did some quick spins in the neighborhood to keep everything running smoothly I thought I had broken birf, hence longfield birfs. I was wanting to run a lockrite in the truck regardless in the front for better turning and now thats one less thing I need to buy.
New parts have come in today. Creeper Joints, 5 and 6 inch shackles, 2 marlin crawler triple drilled tcase flanges ($5 each from marlin onsale, I ordered mine without dust shields but they came with them anyways, score for me), 4inch front springs, and 1 of the 2 trailgear diff armor. I did get the other one a few days later. I order through a site called 4wdfactory.com, they sell trailgear parts for less that trail gear does and have very good customer service. They are located no less than a mile from my house and I always feel like I sould support the local guys in the offroad community.
Small update. Got my boomarang shackles in from sky manufactering and put them on. Took longer than I thought due to one of the previous owners using the old stock shackle with bottoms cut off as the top shackle bolts and getting those out where a pain.
Old Vs New. I think these are some 2 inch lift shackles
Front suspension is pretty much finished up. Just need to redo the rear and the suspension will all be done. Gonna try to find me a ifs box sometime this week at a pick-n-pull.
So now where Im at of today. I learned my stock toyota carb was just fubar. Has internal parts cracked that causes a major vacuum leak so when I hit the gas when the engine is warm it sputters and stalls out. The choke isnt working at all, its just beyond a rebuild and Im in vacuum line nightmare with how the previous owner had rigged it to run atleast on his deer lease. So, I ordered a weber 32/36 (I know what everyone says about webers, dont really need to get into it now. Im close to having this thing street legal and being able to drive it. After the weber is on, all I need to do is install seatbelts, which I have, wire the horn, which I have all the stuff to get it working again, and get the ebrake working, which Im still working on a center pull ebake design to work with my tcase ebrake, will post in detail when thats done). Ive also started working on getting the rear suspension where its right. The previous owner just put new shackle hangers behind the original ones when they put on the trail gear 5inch springs in the rear and used the stock shackles which gave me a bad shackle angle. When taking off the old shackles, which where the original toyota ones, I inverted my shackle by hand when using a breaker bar to bust a nut loose. After cutting and alot of grinding, Im almost ready to put on the creaper joints. I also picked up a steering box from the pick and pull for the crossover as well I have gotten my high steer kit from trailgear and the frame gusset/mount from them too. My friend Matt has been helping when he can but so far this truck has been a solo effort on everything Ive done so far. Never really built a truck before, the only thing Ive done on truck work was longer shackles and a tbar crank on my isuzu rodeo as well anything that needed to be replaced on the rodeo that I broke while wheeling (about 5 alternators met their death by deep water last year as well as skid plates getting replaced, oil changes, and regular mantance). So now I just got to do some more grinding to get the rest of the old shackle hangers off and ready to weld on the new parts. I am also starting to think this truck would of been better as a winter build but so far Im not dying of heat out in the texas sun. lol