I would absolutly extend the tail pipe with one of those crhrome extensions though .. or whatever .. just bring it out past the end of the glass .. otherwise you will end up "cooking" the fiberglass around that area .. + you might actually even get some carbon monoxide inside as a result of NOT extending .. and this is VERY dangerous
TREKKER PARTS 86 "shop truck" lots of fiber parts . 84 2WD "hotrod" widebody 1GZ V12 83 Trekker custom , S/C 3.4L 82 Limited Edition MIRAGE # plated 001 of 500 83 limited Edition MOJAVE # plated 465 of 500
Post by Gov't Mule on Dec 23, 2010 18:24:44 GMT -8
WOW....it's been almost a whole YEAR since I've posted in this thread!! The Sherpa is still a work in progress and I will be starting on it again as soon as the New Year arrives. I took the summer off from workin on it.....and then deer season started in mid October....but stay tuned because I'll be posting updates soon.
Well, I've had alot going on since the last post on the Sherpa progress. Work, hunting seasons, home improvement, life in general, etc.
I finally got around to re-doing the interior. Keep in mind, I primarily use this truck for hunting, trail riding, etc. so my goal was to make it as functional as possible for those activities. I started by basically stripping the interior...the interior carpeting was old, water damaged, and nasty. I wanted a durable, easy to clean interior.
I decided to use the Dupli-Color Bed Armor on the front floor pans and carry it all the way back.
This stuff is really cool. It's easy to apply, low VOCs so low odor,and after rebate only cost about $85. Being meticulous with surface prep is key in getting a good application with a light first coat (kind of a "tack coat") and then a heavier 2nd (and subsequent) coat. I started with a gallon and still have about half of it left.
The side windows and the fiberglass canopy were in need of some work too. I sanded down the canopy to get most of the old carpet adhesive off before coating it with about 4 coats of off-white latex acrylic paint.
Windows were removed, cleaned, frames repainted, re-installed and re-sealed.
Rear folding seat was re-furbished and re-installed.
The headliner was gone when I got the truck so I decided to use some thin veneer paneling and some custom wood framing to replace the headliner. This also allowed me to mount a DIN style radio/CD overhead in the center. Switched out the stock style rearview mirror with one that mounts to the windshield. I used a white LED strip for interior lighting. (cellphone pics make it look blue but its not)
Finally, I carried the light olive green exterior color into the jams, kick panels, and interior pillars.
Here's a few shots of the exterior as well. This is a RATTLE CAN paint job. My thought is that for a vehicle like this that sees alot of offroad use the only real purpose of paint is to prevent rust! ;D
DOM tube bumpers and sliders along with a winch are coming next...hopefully it wont be another year and a half before I post those updates.
Thx Corey. I just used wood, I cut a channel in the underside of it to run wiring for speakers, etc. and then painted it same color as exterior and then a clear coat over that. Figured it would look a little cleaner that way. I'm a low budget kinda guy...haha.